Saturday, October 6, 2007

One Week Down




I made it! Sorry for not posting but my week is rather busy. I will update at least once a week but will shoot for two or three times a week.
So last week I went to the Kennedy Space Center. It was really cool! The most interesting thing, in my opinion, was the Saturn rocket exibit. That was the rocket that was used during the Apollo missions. The main rocket engine type they used was called the J-1. It was and is still the most powerful rocket engine ever built. One J-1 provides more trust than 230 F/A-18 Hornets. And the Saturn rocket had five J-1's! They said when the rocket was fully fueled that the expansion and contraction from the super cold fuel made the rocket sound like it was breathing. While launching the closest you could get the rocket with out being seriously injured or killed was 3 miles and when fully fueled it had as much explosive power than the atom bomb that hit Hieroshima. So needless to say that I enjoyed my visit.
I started school on Monday and had my first flight on Thursday. It has been a very fun very busy week. My day conisists of waking up at 6 (coffee is a life saver) shower, eat breakfast, class starts at 8, class ends at 12, quick lunch (if possible) then flight lessons from 1-4ish, dinner, home to study, and asleep by 11.
You might be wondering what it is like flying a helicopter. Well... it is amazing! Flying a helicopter as compared to a fixed wing is like comparing driving a V6 rear wheel drive drifting car with stick shift on ice or driving a front wheel drive 4 cylider with an automatic on a one way street with no traffic :P. So if you want it easy, fly a plane, if you want to have more imput on your machine, fly a helicopter (Mason! GIve in to the dark side!)
I will update with some pictures of the choppers and the facilities tomorrow.
Take care.
Cj
Ps. The middle picture is of the saturn rocket and those engines on the last picture are the J-1's, each one is about 30 Ft wide.

3 comments:

Daniel Temple said...

If I were a geek I would be jealous

Mason, the Guitar Philosopher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mason, the Guitar Philosopher said...

I wouldn't call being a Helicopter pilot "The Dark Side." I like to reserve that term for ATC. :-)
--
1200